Can anyone obtain a domestic violence TRO?

Even if your problem involves domestic violence, you must meet certain criteria to qualify for this type of restraining order yourself.  You must have dated, been engaged to, lived with or been married to the abusive person.  You also would qualify if the two of you have a child together or if you are otherwise related by blood or marriage.

What if, however, your daughter’s boyfriend will not stop calling you in search of your daughter?  Perhaps he is even leaving threatening messages on your answer machine.  In this case, your daughter may be able to seek a domestic violence restraining order, depending on the circumstances.  You, as the mother, would need to seek a civil harassment restraining order to legally bar your daughter’s boyfriend from contacting you.

Click here to return to the Domestic Violence FAQ.