Can a restraining order protect my children?

Yes.  You can request that the stay-away order also apply to your children.  The judge can order the restrained person or batterer to stay away from the children's school as well as the family home and any other location where you might be placed in danger.  In addition, the judge may give you temporary custody of the children and set up rules regarding visitation.  If, however, you are seeking custody, you will have to attend court-ordered mediation after applying for the TRO.  As a victim of domestic violence, you can attend mediation sessions apart from the restrained person.  A support person can accompany you to such sessions, though she or he cannot participate.